Monday, March 31, 2008

Crazy Missouri Weather

The other night it started raining really hard around 10:00pm. All of the sudden it was hailing - it only lasted seriously 30 seconds - but it sounded like all of the windows in our house were going to blow out! It was crazy - the twins were out of bed in 2 seconds. So we decided to let them go out and see the hail. We could not believe how much there was after 30 seconds. Our deck was covered! The gutter drain filled up and overflowed! Devon put his Mountain Dew can out to give perspective as to how much hail there was. He also filled a cup - it looked like really good crushed ice for a drink (notice the mt. dew can again)... Devon's mom called after it ended - and we were both cracking up because Devon's dad had filled up a cup with the hail also! Like father, like son I guess! We did not actually use any of the hail as ice for a drink - (in case you were wondering!)


So - now it is Monday and we have had another crazy weather day! It started this morning with thunderstorm warnings - and took a turn to tornado warnings and watches! The sirens started going off and we ended up at Devon's mom and dad's house (because they have a basement)! They take good care of us! Things calmed down - so I took the twins to school and on the way to pick them up - it was a total downpour. The radio was telling people to not be on the road unless they had to be there - a bus tipped over because of the strong winds! I had to drive like 20 mph the whole way! But - like all weather in Missouri - by the time I walked out of school with the twins the storm was gone! Fun times!




10 friends wanted to say...:

Case said...

I'm glad you guys survived...we have only had tornado watches...no warnings yet, so that is good!

Laurie said...

Holy cow!! That picture of the can compared to the ice pile really shows how much you got. I can't imagine. Kinda fun, kinda scary. You midwesterners probably think of it as mostly fun! Hope you are having a great week!

On Our List said...

Wow...that is a lot of hail. I am glad y'all are okay. You are very lucky to have Devon's parents so close.

On Our List said...

P.S. I love your new layout!!!

Unknown said...

Hail Rules! In junior high it hailed a whole bunch and all the kids played in it in between classes. (It never snows back home, I think we were desperate.)


Kristy

Case said...

I don't think I can... it's 2 weeks before I come for conference, not one. I don't think we can make the drive twice. I am sad!!!!

becca said...

I can't even imagine! Although I LOVE where I live, mainly for the unbelievable year round perfect weather....it would be fun to actually experience "real" weather! Although I have to admit I would be TERRIFIED of driving in a real storm!

Kates said...

That is crazy. Nothing like that here in the valley of the sun. Just more and more sunshine.

On Our List said...

Didn't Devon's mission president get called to the First Quorum of the Seventy today? I swear I recognized the name b/c Dev used to sing it to the Mens Chorus song, "Betelehemu" but I might be wrong? Just curious.

Heather K said...

Yikes~ That IS crazy weather! We just plain old snow last week.

I did get Kennedy's birth stone for my necklace when she was born, thanks though for thinking of me.

I think Scott still thinks we need lots of food and a candy bar basket for Conference weekend thanks to watching conference with you guys back in Columbus. All he got today was a tuna fish sandwich and a diet Pepsi... I know, I am kind of boring that way.