Thursday, March 6, 2008

Three months old...

I cannot believe that Barrett is three months old today. It seems like we were just barely bringing him home from the hospital. It took so long to get pregnant with the twins - and then when we did get pregnant - it was a whirlwind - going from no kids to two. But - with Barrett it was the complete opposite. We weren't planning it at all. Then suddenly he was coming and I was so happy! I do not like being pregnant - and the twins were probably very neglected during those nine months - When we went to the hospital (on Dec. 5) I was excited and nervous to labor - since the twins were c-section - I had no idea what to expect. Then the whole day went by - and by the next day (Dec. 6) the doctor decided to do a c-section. I remember being so tired. The doctors were talking to me and I kept falling asleep. The next thing I knew - he was here and healthy! All the sudden - nothing else mattered. I had this beautiful, healthy baby!
I knew that I wanted to name him Barrett! That name has a special place in my heart. It is my Grandma Rosa's maiden name. She was an incredible woman. My grandpa died when my dad was 13 - she raised two boys by herself - and she never let them feel sorry for themselves. Then she was diagnosed with cancer. She didn't ever complain - or ask why hard things had to happen to her. She was always fun - she had fun ideas for everything. She taught all of us to play poker (that's probably frowned on) but we loved her for it! She always had ice cream at her house - and if she didn't have it - she would give us money and send us to the store to get more!
Barrett is also my dad's middle name. I am lucky to have such a great dad! I can remember him taking me and my friends to a concert in downtown Dallas on New Year's Eve - because none of our parents wanted us to go by ourselves - so he volunteered to take us! He stayed there the whole time and actually acted like he enjoyed it! I had early morning seminary and he would come in to wake me up each morning (which was never pleasant on his end) and then he would mix up orange juice for me to drink before I left. There are so many memories of how much he did and still does for me. I think when I first told him that we were going to name this baby Barrett he thought it was a last name - but hopefully he likes it now that there is a sweet face to go with the name.
Barrett's middle name is Gray - we love the Buckeyes - need I say more...
So - there is a lot behind his name - but so far he lives up to it! He is so sweet! I don't know how our family felt complete before he was born - because he is such a part of us now!
I love to watch him smile and laugh - I love to go in his room and watch how peacefully he sleeps - I love how great he is when I drag him around on errands, taking the twins to school, or anywhere else we have to go - I love his chubby cheeks - I love how noisy he is when he eats - I love how he cries when he wants his diaper changed and then smiles as soon as you lay him on the changing table - I love how he loves to have his back arched and his head back - I love how he goes to bed around 9:00 and doesn't wake up again until 6:30am!
Three months doesn't seem very long - but it has changed our lives completely! We love you Barrett!

8 friends wanted to say...:

On Our List said...

Brooke,
That was beautiful. I was crying by the end and beleive it or not I am not much of a crier these days...the last time was when I heard President Hinckley died... Barrett is so lucky to have you as a mom. How blessed your children are to have you as a mom. You are one elect lady. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Love,
Sharon

Case said...

I agree, that was really cool. It makes me want to go wake up Brock from his nap and squeeze him! You are an awesome mom, those 3 kids are so lucky!!

And Devon is okay too I guess :)

Maren and Kurt said...

I can't believe he is so big. Kyle is lucky to have a cousin close to his age. I can't wait to see them together again.

Drostan and Jennifer said...

What a doll! Congratulations!!! I'm so glad to see you guys are doing well.

Kortney Manning said...

I can't decide who Barrett looks like. Some of those pictures look like Had, then they look like Cayden. Whoever it is, he is so cute. Time flies...then you get closer to needing to have the next one!!!(ha ha) See you in AZ soon, right? :) Love ya,
Kort

Chels and Blake said...

Brooke,

Hey, this is Chelsie George from Academy! Your family is darling! We have twins too! A boy and a girl that are 2! Maybe we can keep in touch a little bit through blogging!!

AMY MICHELLE said...

What a perfect name for a perfect little guy... so how do I request my baby to sleep from 9-6. I don't love being pregnant either, so it is nice to know that I am coming to the end. It is weird how fast times goes once you do have the baby though. I remember Kort telling me you were pregnant and now he is 3 months. It is great to be able to watch him grow on your blog.

theSwensenFamily said...

Hi Brooke! What a darling little boy and I DO love the name! I didn't even know you had had another one until I came across your blog. Congratulations! Is is so much different just having one baby to take care of instead of two? You made taking care of twins look so easy. I've thought about calling you a million times just to chat about life with twins. My twins just turned two months old on Monday. They are so much fun but I seem to never have a second just to sit down during the day. That is probably anybodys life with three kids. I would love any advice you have to offer! Does it get any easier?

It's fun to read your blog! You are such a cute family!

Take Care,
Lindsey Swensen