Monday, February 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Kortney!!!

Today is Kortney's birthday!
(By the time this posts it will probably be tomorrow, but...)
Because we live across the country from each other - we have to communicate through the telephone. Which works ok for us because we are never at a lack for things to talk about on the phone - we usually get off the phone because the kids need us - not because we are actually done talking! So - since I can't go to her house and take her out for her birthday - here is my
"Ode to Kortney"
(This will most likely be dumb to everyone else - so feel free to stop reading at any point!)

It's fun to have a friend that you instantly click with - it is even better and much more rare if your husbands click also! We always joke that we are living the same life in two different places. When one of us has a problem - the other one has usually just barely gone through the same situation. So- it is nice to always have someone to talk to that understands the stress of your life.
I was remembering all kinds of funny things today - so I thought I'd list some classic Jarvis/Manning moments - please to enjoy...

* Playing rook into the middle of the night -
* Playing rook when I was pregnant with the twins and my belly was so big that I played leaning over the chair???
* The rook notebook - I think the girls were ahead, right?
* Learning to play Skip jack - which kind of replaced rook - then watching Devon and Greg make a skip jack board .
* Pig Mess - (what is that exactly???)
* Stopping at every gas station to find the perfect ice and diet coke!
* Going to Kirtland for youth conference and driving the Kron mobile!
* Going to Cincinnati and driving through the ghetto to see where Greg did his rotation - and I had to go to the bathroom so bad!
* Ohio State football games - need I say more...
* Watching Brother Kron dance Footloose at the stake dance :)
* Laughing our guts out over any and everything... (even when Greg and Devon thought we were dumb - we knew that we were truly funny)
* Watching Greg and Devon climb the playground tree at the Polaris mall.
* Getting the "Ditto" jitters!
* Driving to Mansfield for potato chips!
* "Enjoying?" the aquarium in Cincinnati
* Listening to the vocal stylings of Greg and his award winning song - "Let me be Your Dentist"
* All of us appreciating how hard Greg works!
* Swoobs
* Making cards - every month... (man dates to Long John Silver's)
* The "A.L." dance off
* Salty hamburgers - (Greg we know that it was first BBQ of the summer)
* Devon, Greg, and Scott dressing up for the ward Halloween party.
* Tuesday night basketball retro night - complete with socks, wristbands, and headbands - all matching of course.
* The boys trying on the awesome tight white Guess jeans at the outlet mall!
* P. F. Chang's to celebrate boards
* Eating out at every possible place in Columbus.
* Watching "Extreme Home Makeover" on Sunday nights and crying - (Devon and Greg cried too - even though they might not admit it...)
* Greg telling a story (which I can't remember all the details about) - something about a little kid's heart and then pretending to laugh to cover his tears.
* Sunday night hangout - treats of every kind

There are a million more memories ... too many to list! I am lucky to have such a great friend! I miss living close - but that's how it goes. At least we can talk - and maybe actually get to see each other again...
Anyway - Happy Birthday to Kortney - you're the greatest - I love you!

1 friends wanted to say...:

Kortney Manning said...

I don't think I have laughed/cried this hard in awhile. Some of those memories I had forgotten about. Wow, this was one of my favorite birthday gifts, Brooke! (it also helped that while reading it, "Somewhere only we know" was playing in the background!!) Our's is one in a million, right? Love you forever:)
-Kort