Saturday, August 30, 2008

in my next 30 years...

So today I am 30!
I am not loving the idea of no longer being in my twenties... but what can you do about it?? nothing! I guess everyone is saying that 30 is the new 20 so I should take comfort in that - but it is not really working - there is something about my age starting with a 3 that seems so weird!
It is my golden birthday though...30 on the 30th!
The song by Tim McGraw - In My Next Thirty Years... has been going through my head for the entire month of August - (feel free to listen from my playlist while you read...)and it has actually led me to do some real thinking about the first 30 years of my life - and what will happen in the next 30!
(so in the words of Tim McGraw..."I think I'll take a moment - celebrate my age, the ending of an era, and the turning of a page"...or here is some more personal history)
I was born in Salt Lake City - the third child - first daughter to Richard and Janice Phillips. My parents did not have health insurance when they had me - so I was paid for in full by them - I am pretty sure that is why I am their favorite! We lived in Utah until I was five - I even started kindergarten there - but a few months after I turned 5 - we moved to Plano, Texas! So - Plano is the home that I have always claimed! We lived in Hanover Park (just outside of Chicago) IL for three years (3-5 grades) - but the rest of school was spent in Plano - I was a Plano East Panther - graduating class of 1996! I can take some comfort in knowing that most everyone who graduated with me has already celebrated their 30th!
After finishing high school - I headed for BYU- (go cougars!!) I double majored in elementary music education and elementary education and graduated in 2001! I loved my time at BYU - I made so many great friends and had some fun jobs - I worked efy for 2 summers ('98 and '99) and also worked at Hogi Yogi - (I don't think there is a more Provo job than Hogi Yogi)! I also met, fell in love with, and married my best friend- Devon in 1999! (see the previous post for more about that...)
Once Devon and I graduated from BYU - we moved to Columbus Ohio - (where we knew no one...) to start Optometry school at The Ohio State University - (go bucks!!) We loved living in Ohio - we became diehard Buckeye fans for life and made many great and life long friends there! I taught kindergarten until the twins were born in 2003. They were born just a few weeks before Devon's finals and a month before his first set of boards - good timing right?!?! When Devon graduated in 2005 - we decided to move to his hometown - Willard Missouri - so that he could open his own practice here!
In 2007 - we had Barrett - our sweet little baby boy - who is getting bigger everyday!
There are so many wonderful memories from the first 30 years of my life! I know that I am truly blessed! I have made so many great friends - I have such a great family - immediate and extended!
There are so many things to come in the next 30 years- even as I have been writing this post I have started getting more excited and less depressed - blogging is such good therapy!

16 friends wanted to say...:

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

HAPPY BIRHTHDAY!!! I hope you have a wonderful day! You look amazing and have accomplished so much! I loved reading your post and I have to admit that my favorite part was HOGI YOGI!! A girl after my own heart!

The Berridges said...

Don't be depressed! It's just another adventure. Plus, our kids keep us young, right? :) I enjoyed your reflection. It's probably something we should all do! Happy Birthday!

On Our List said...

Happy Birthday Sexy Mama!!! I don't think you look a day older than 25.

Hell, it could be worst you could be 31 like me or 32 like Devon. The theme song for my 31st birthday was I'm Much Too Young Too Feel This Damn Old.

I hope you have a great birthday!!! My present to you is something I don't think I ever told you since I have known you. One of the greatest examples in my life of faithfulness is you. I still remember how impressed I was that no matter how late we stayed up or where we were at you always took time to read your scriptures and say your prayers before you went to bed. That touched me and I always wanted to be like you. In college you always took time to be my friend no matter how dumb I was. I knew you cared about me and it helped me get through college. Thank you. It meant a lot to me. Happy Birthday, you are the best!!!

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday Darling Brooke! This was a cute post. You deserve a fabulous day. Your family is so cute. What a great life you have!

djwillden said...

happy birthday Brooke! I hope you have a great day. I'm so excited to see you have a blog!

Amberli said...

ah, it was good therapy for me to read this post as well as i've also recently made this transition. i like the idea of thinking of the next 30 years and what they have to offer. let's hear it for 30 being the new 20!!!

Chantz H. Davis said...

I was 30 30 years ago (almsot). Love you guys!
Aunt Lena

becca said...

Oh, Happy Birthday Brooke!!! I remember those Hogi Yogi days (man I loved visiting you at work! :)

I have to say that being 30 isnt' near as bad as I thought it would be. The birthday was tough, but I have to admit that I am REALLY enjoying being 30....and I still feel 21 :)

I hope you had a GREAT birthday!

Mamma Martin said...

30 seems really, really young, Brooke! I love catching up on your family--You are all beautiful!!

Case said...

I'm glad I talked to you Friday night...and when I talked to you on Saturday I didn't even say Happy Birthday. I am a total loser. I just really stink at birthdays...maybe because I don't like my own even. My deepest apologies and Happy Birthday super late :)

Heather K said...

Happy Late Birthday! I hope you had a great day! It's always fun to look back at our lives and see what we have accomplished! You have a great life and a fun family! It seems like we still live close to you by reading your blogs. I will never forget all those late nights with hamburgers, chex mix and grape soda. Anyway, you look great and I hope your next 30 is as wonderful and adventurous as the last!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! 30 is kind of a tough age - I remember when my mom turned 30 and I thought she was SUPER old. Now I'm sure my kids think I'm pretty darn old too. Oh well! You have lots of good things to show for your first 30 years.

Kristy

AMY MICHELLE said...

Happy belated 30th birthday!!! You have had a great 30 years... enjoyed reading all the fun facts! Glad to have you as a friend!

Jill said...

Happy late bday. Hope it was great!!!!!! You are so cute.
I'll be there in 3 months as well...kind of freakish. But when such cute girls as yourself are in their 30's it doesn't seem so old!!

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! 30 is awesome...and so are you so it fits perfectly. Sorry we missed cake, I was dead after church and slept till 7:40. The kids all called me a liar for saying we were going to your house but I was so sick...or had really bad allergies. Hope is was fun.

Now you can come spy on me at my blog. :)

Kortney Manning said...

The last time I checked your blog was the "Rodeo" post. I have been sitting here for 20 minutes catching up! Dang move into this new house...I am all behind on everything!! Well, you look great for being a whole 30 years old. It is agreeing with you. Loving the long hair! So pretty! Also, the picture of you and Devon was cute, too. Did I mention we miss our best friends?