Saturday, November 15, 2008

25 degrees and a chance of snow...sounds like 5k weather!

Devon and I ran a 5k together today! It was so fun! (The last time we did a 5k together was a few months after the twins were born...and we walked it with the stroller!) It was very cold! The temperature was about 24 degrees when we left the house this morning. When we were lining up to start the race... it started snowing! (just flurries - no blizzards) A few minutes into the race we warmed right up!

We didn't actually cross the finish line at the exact same time (I beat Dev by 6 seconds...oh yeah!) - but we got a picture at the finish line to show that we did it! I know for all the hard core racers - this isn't a great time... but for me - I was proud of my time! It is my first 5k since before Barrett was born! The best was running it together! I think it was one of our most fun dates!
This is Garron - he's 12 - and he beat us by about 10 minutes! He was also in my primary class a few years ago! It was fun to see him at the race - he is part of the Willard running club - I wish I would have taken a picture of the back of his shirt - all the kids in the club were wearing them - it says "Our sport is your sport's punishment" - isn't that funny ?!?
So...even though it was super cold - it felt great to run again!

16 friends wanted to say...:

Jill said...

sounds like PURE MISERY to me!! lol

Anonymous said...

way to go Brooke and Devon!!! I love it. You two are awesome...wish I could come run with you. Actually, wish you could come run with me...it was 78 degrees here today.

I haven't tried the Febreze noticeables yet, but those Lysol wipes are the greatest for cleaning up dried playdough and other random treasures I find under our table. Thanks for the reccomendations.

Laurie said...

How fun!! That is a great time. I went only HALF that distance on my treadmill yesterday in that amount of time. OUCH. Time to get working out!

Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

On Our List said...

Wow!!! Good for you guys. The minute it started snowing I would have ran to my car and drove home. That is why you are a skinny minnie and I am not. You are a lot more dedicated than I would ever be. Very impressive.

Love ya!!!

Michelle said...

Man, aren't you an inspiration! I wish I could run 1/2 that :)

Tina said...

Way to go Brooke and Dev! But, I'll get honest. I'm glad my job was to tend the kids in the nice warm house! I'm proud of you both!

Kates said...

Way to go guys! I would much rather run in the cold than the heat! 31 minutes I think that is fantastic! Good job!

Kates said...

Ok, that comment from Kates (and probably this one too) is really Aunt Lena. sorry

becca said...

Wow! 25 degrees? I cannot even imagine! I can't run outside when it dips below 65 because it makes my ears hurt and my lungs burn! Seriously, how do your lungs NOT freeze when breathing in the cold like that?!

How fun to run it together, I don't think I could ever convince Brandon to run a 5K with me....especially in weather like that! And I think you guys had GREAT time...30 minutes for over 3 miles!
We have been having a heat wave (yes! In November!) and I have to say that I LOVE your seeing pictures of you guys all bundled up...that one of the family at the top of your blog is DARLING! Your family is just cute!

lukeandjillfamily said...

I'm totally impressed that you ran a 5K. I need to get motivated--Way to beat Devon!! I love the Halloween costumes--The Disco outfits were pretty impressive, it looks like you guys had a great time.

Case said...

I have that hat that you have on!! Brock has been wearing it on our walks because I can't find his! And I am so very very impressed with your time!

Nicole said...

I was sad that I missed that race! I think I remember reading about it a few months ago in the Willard News, but then I forgot! That's so cool that you guys ran it together.
Pretty cold, huh??? Winter makes you tough, huh - tough or cranky (I think it makes me cranky!)

Maren and Kurt said...

Are you kidding me? Brooke- you are going to be running WAY faster than me next week. HOO-HA for you. I will have to train a little harder this week to keep up with you. Love you!

Mamma Martin said...

I've been so busy with babies that I am just now getting caught up. Good for you guys--looks like fun!

Marie said...

Great job on the run!

I had to pause your awesome Ohio State Hollaback remix since Jane was viewing with me and was very interested in the song and lyrics. Crack me up!

Tina said...

Okay, there's been a 5K in Dallas, Thanksgiving, and Barrett's birthday. When are you going to update? I know, I see you almost everyday--but I still check the blog!